Air Pollution Pollution Hill Science 6. Air Pollution What is it? Causes? Indoor –Examples? Outdoor –Examples?
out of 12
Post on 27-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Air Pollution Pollution Hill Science 6
- Slide 2
- Air Pollution What is it? Causes? Indoor Examples? Outdoor Examples?
- Slide 3
- Outdoor Air Pollution There are two types of outdoor air pollution: Particulate pollution (Black Carbon and other) Noxious Gases
- Slide 4
- Pollution - Particulates Coal, wood, and fossil fuels release gases and tiny particles into the air when burned. Mining and some agricultural practices also emit particles. The exhaust from burning fuels in automobiles, homes, and industries release particles.
- Slide 5
- Air Pollution Noxious gases sulfur dioxide carbon monoxide nitrogen oxides other chemical vapors is pollution. Form smog and acid rain.
- Slide 6
- Smog Exhaust of fossil fuel-burning engines in cars, trucks, coal power plants, and industrial manufacturing factories. VOCs - man-made sources gasoline, paints, solvents, pesticides
- Slide 7
- Smog Smog surrounds the Angel Monument in Mexico City, Mexico. The absence of wind circulation prevents pollution near the earths surface from escaping.
- Slide 8
- Smog In high enough concentrations, these particles can reduce visibility and cause many physical ailments in humans: Coughing Headaches Sneezing Eye irritation Chest pain Respiratory failure
- Slide 9
- Air Passages Infants, elderly, and those with chronic lung ailments may experience: Asthma Emphysema
- Slide 10
- Air Pollution Air Pollution is one of the easier types of pollution to control. For example: Smokestacks fitted with filters to catch particles Autos designed to meet tougher emission standards
- Slide 11
- Air Pollution Not all air pollution is caused by humans. Examples: Volcanic ash Smoke from naturally occurring forest fires Salt spray from oceans
- Slide 12
- How to Decrease Air Pollution Transportation Transportation Drive a car that gets at least 35 miles a gallon, Walk, bicycle, use mass transit Energy Energy Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs, Make your home more energy efficient Buy only energy efficient appliances. Waste Recycle newspapers, aluminum, and other materials. Plant trees and avoid purchasing products such as Styrofoam that contain CFCs. Support much stricter clean air laws and enforcement of international treaties to reduce ozone depletion and slow global warming. Earth is everybody's home and nobody likes living in a dirty home. Together, we can make the earth a cleaner, healthier and more pleasant place to live. EPA.gov EPA.gov
View more >
URBAN AIR POLLUTION EVALUATION AND AIR POLLUTION EVALUATION AND...URBAN AIR POLLUTION EVALUATION AND…
AIR POLLUTION. Air Pollution created by man Burning of Fossil Fuels Examples of fossil fuels: Oil and coal
Outdoor air pollution fundamentals Air pollutants Air pollution standards and measurement Air pollution problems Air pollution in Hong Kong
Session: Urban Air Pollution - ?· Session: Urban Air Pollution . 103 ... automotive air pollution is…
CHAPTER 2 EXAMPLES OF AIR POLLUTION PROBLEMS. EXAMPLES OF AIR POLLUTION PROBLEMS Classical urban Air PollutionClassical urban Air Pollution Modern urban