out of 8
Post on 25-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. ACADEMIC READINESS DR. REBECCA JOSEPH
- 2. 2 1. WHAT COURSES DO I NEED TO TAKE? For the UC and CSU, you must take and pass the A-G courses. Do not assume that your courses count, so check with your counselor or with the websites we recommend. The UCs currently require a minimum 3.0 GPA. The CSUS require without any testing, a minimum 3.0. If you have a 2.0-2.9, you can qualify if you get minimum SAT or ACT test scores.
- 3. 3 The CSUs have a great site that help all students. CSU mentor http://www.csumentor.edu/. This site helps you plan for all kinds of colleges and has a great planner. http://www.csumentor.edu/planning/high_school/cal_residents.asp For private colleges: the higher the course level, the better. For all colleges: Do not drop an area when you finish minimum That means in simple terms, HistoryTwo to three years of History (US History, European History, Government, Economics, and electivesPsychology, Sociology, World History) English-Four years of English (ESL 4, English 9, 10, 11, 12) Math. Three years of Math (Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, and higher) Laboratory Science. Two to three years of Science (lab courses-Biology and Chemistry. Then also Physics, Environmental Science, Anatomy, Physiology) Note IPC does not count as a science class but rather as an elective.
- 4. 4 Languages Other Than English. Two to three years of Foreign Language (Those who are fluent and can get an 800 on the SAT 2 in their foreign language can waive out). Visual and Performing Arts One year of the same Art (Music A and B; Drama A and B; Art A and B, etc.) One year of college electives (Higher classes than required courses count, also electives. THEY MUST BE APPROVED COURSES, SO CHECK BEFORE TAKING ONE). If youre not sure if courses count, check this site and find your high school https://doorways.ucop.edu/list/servlet.jsf;jsessionid=C132FACD7A5E80E9B4EB39 CD1E65541C?_flowExecutionKey=_cEF21E92E-1D39-71B4-C8E2- EBEA788D4E8A_k69E5020E-5CC4-17BE-5620-E9C49E6C8F5E You can calculate your GPA http://www.californiacolleges.edu/admissions/california-state-university- csu/gpa_calculator.asp 2. FOREIGN LANGUAGE NOTES- American Sign Language at a community college can count as two years of foreign language Passing Spanish 2 Counts as two years of Spanish. Same with other foreign languages.
- 5. 5 3. OTHER KEY NOTES 1. Start taking A-G course as early as you can 2. Here is a great site to track your A-G courses http://www.californiacolleges.edu/planning/Freshman_Planner/default.asp 3. Ds dont count. You can graduate from high school with a D but colleges dont count them. 4. If you have an area you hate, then okay, stop after minimum, but pick up other areas 5. Take AP and honors classes!!! 6. Take community college and college classes!!! They can count for AP and honors credit. High school students can take community college classes for free. Use your summers to take classes to push yourself higher. Get catalogues online or see your counselor for information. 7. If you need to make up classes, go to a local skills center or take the class online. Brigham Young Online, for example, is a great way to make up classes. 8. There are other ways to waive out of some classes, so look at the UC website for more information. You can check your eligibility on this site.
- 6. 6 http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_a dm/freshman.html a. A-G path http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/pat hs_to_adm/freshman/subject_reqs.html b. Scholarship path http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/pat hs_to_adm/freshman/scholarship_reqs.html c. Examination path http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/pat hs_to_adm/freshman/examination_reqs.html 9. If you are in the top 4% of your class and meet A-G and testing requirements, you can qualify for automatic admissions to a UC. The top 12.5% of a class can also qualify for certain kinds of admissions. Check with your counselor. Check the UC site to see if you qualify. http://www.ucop.edu/sas/elc/ 10. Private colleges look for different kinds of courses but at least want A-G. They always like you to follow a passion and to go beyond what is required. If you want a scholarship, the more initiative you follow the better. Nice planning chart-lets make a cool one!!!!!! http://www.lhslobos.org/guidanceinfo/A-G%20Planning%20Chart.htm http://www.sa.ucsb.edu/eao/eao/Services/pdf/HighSchoolPlanningChart(A- G).pdf http://www.eaop.ucla.edu/publication/A- G%20Chart%20English%209%203%2008.doc
- 7. 7 4. MATH AND ENGLISH READINESS When you get to college, you will need to meet English and Math entrance requirements. So if really work on your math and English. Get help with your writing when you can. Consider taking English 101 over the summer. Take Hono
View more >
STAAR Information Night Continued Presented By: Third Grade State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness
Lake County Schools Investing In Excellence! College and Career Readiness Academic Services April 2013
Academic Readiness Skillsne #2 Employability and Work-Readiness Skills3 hrs. or more Fill out a Master…
Research Academic Importance of Handwriting - ??Readiness of Young Children for Handwriting 9 . DOES PRACTICE MAKE PERFECT? 9 . READINESS 9 . ... Research: Academic Importance of Handwriting
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA Academic Advancement Academies Summer Algebra Academy Summer Geometry Academy College Readiness Academy Academic Advancement Academies
Kindergarten to College Focus: College Readiness Slides excerpted from: College Readiness Report Academic and Student Affairs Information Item November
State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness ... Reading/Comprehension of Informational Text/Culture and 12 ... humorous oet free verse . oet
Academic Moves for College and Career Readiness, Grades x ACADEMIC MOVES FOR COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS,
Jr. ACE Advisory Board. 6th Grade Summer Institute Academic Enrichment 7 th Grade Academic Year College Readiness Retention Activities 7 th Grade Summer
Academic Moves for College and Career Readiness, Grades ?· • Sudoku Puzzle (Damon and Cameron, Math,…