1 the jain poets yashwant k. malaiya jaina convention, chicago 2001
out of 25
Post on 21-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- 1 The Jain Poets Yashwant K. Malaiya JAINA Convention, Chicago 2001
- Slide 2
- 2 The Jain Poets Poetry & faith Mantungas Bhaktamar Stotra (Sanskrit) Ramasimhas Dohapahud (Apabhransha) Banarasidass Ardhakathanak Padas & Prayers Budhjan, Dyanat, Anandghan, Bhudhar, Daulat Modern: Yugvirs Meri Bhavana, RavindraJain, Pankaj
- Slide 3
- 3 Poetry & faith Poetry is often devotional. Magic of poetry lies in both words and the meaning. Poetry is enhanced by mystery. Songs and music can be more convincing than exact reasoning. Of thousands of great Jain poets, only some samples are presented here.
- Slide 4
- 4 Jain Poets of India Some of most remarkable poets of India have been Jain. Early Tamil Poets : Illankadigal, Thiruvalluvar,Nachinarkiniyar etc. Earliest Kannda poets : Pampa, Ranna, Pona etc. Early Hindi poets : Devasen (Sravakachar) etc. Early Gujarati poets : Shalibhadrasuri (Bharateswara Bahubali Rasa) etc.
- Slide 5
- 5 Acharya Mantunga Composed Sanskrit Bhatkamar Stotra Popular among all Jain sects Masterpiece of elegent Sanskrit poetry Thought to have mantra-like powers Legends surround Mantunga and Bhaktamar Stora Subject of books, videos and paintings
- Slide 6
- 6 I, the Ignorent One buddhya vinaapi vibudharchita padapitha stotum samudyata matirvigatatrapoaham | balam vihaya jalasansthitamindu bimba - manyah ka ichchhati janah sahasa grahitum | 3 | O Lord ! seated on the throne adored by gods. I am trying to praise you, although feeble-minded. Who else, but a child, would try to catch the image of the moon reflected in water.
- Slide 7
- 7 Who Influenced Kabir? Kabir: one of the most influential poets Did not believe in rituals Staunch proponent of vegetarianism Sikhism: heavily influenced by Kabir Who influenced Kabir?
- Slide 8
- 8 Muni Ramsimha manu miliyau paramesaraham, paramesaru vi manassa. vinni vi samarasi hui rahiy pujja chadhaaun kassa? 50 My mind has met the supreme being, the supreme being has met my mind, both have become one, who should I offer the puja? Quoted by Acharya Amritchandra (904-962 CE), Acharya Jayasen (1292- 1323 CE), Hemachandra Suri (1088-1173) Lived in Rajasthan No personal informaion available. Kabir follows his expression.
- Slide 9
- 9 Who am I? tarunau buddhau balu hau. surau pandiu divvu khavanau vandau sevadau ehau chinti ma savvu.33. That I am a young man, old or child, brave warrior or a noble scholar, I am a kshapanaka, vandak or shvetapat, don't think that way. Kshapanaka= Shvetapat= Vandak=?
- Slide 10
- 10 Banarasi Das Born 1586, Akbar ruling. Grew up in Jaunpur Later in Agra Faced many troubles in life. Wrote Samayasar Natak Led Adhyathm movement First autobiography in India: Ardha-Kathanaka
- Slide 11
- 11 When Akbar Died
- Slide 12
- 12 When Akbar Died At all the houses, doors were kept closed, merchants stopped sitting at the shops. Nice clothes and ornaments were all buried under the ground. People started keeping their swords ready, they started wearing coarse clothes. You could not recognize the status of a person, the rich and poor looked alike.
- Slide 13
- 13 My Qualities & Faults Then at Banarasi's home, the third son too, closed his eyes. Banarsi has been very sad, his heart has been overwhelmed with grief. Attachment is so powerful, it overpowers both ignorent and the wise. Two years have passed, but I haven't overcome my grief. Banarasi has told his tale of 55 years. Married three wives, had two daughters and seven sons. All nine died, like trees in fall, we remain like bare trunks... Now let me mention the qualities and flaws of Banarasi, I can speak in pure Sanskit and Prakrit. I know the dialects of many regions. My heart is pure and it is supported by samyakatva. But no one is perfect or flawless...
- Slide 14
- 14 My Qualities & Faults
- Slide 15
- 15 Budhjan: Jaipur 1773-1838 prabhu patit pavan main apavan, charan ayo sharan ji. yo virad ap nihar svami, met jaman maran ji.. 1.. jachun nahin suravas puni, nar raj parijan sathaji. "budh" jachahun tuv bhakti bhav-bhav, dijiye shivanathaji.. 8.. Lord ! redeemer of the fallen! I seek the shelter of your feet. Looking at your face, eliminates the cycle of birth & death Seek neither heaven nor companionship of royals, I seek devotion to you, life after life. O Lord in Moksha.
- Slide 16
- 16 Daultram ham to kabahun na nij ghar aye, par ghar phirat bahut din bite, nam anek dharaye I have never been home have spent a long time in other's homes have had many names.. Hathras (1798-1666) Chhipa by profession Inspired by Budhjan Author of Chhah Dhala
- Slide 17
- 17 Anandaghan ab ham amar bhaye na marenge ya karan mithyat diyo taj kyon kar deh dharenge Now I will be immortal, I will not die that is why I have given up false hoods why will I bear a body again?
- Slide 18
- 18 Ghasiram is nagari men kis vidhi rahana.. ek kuva pancho panihari nir bharain sab nyari nyari bur gaya kuva, sukha gaya pani bilakh rahi panchon panihari dhasiram sahaj ka mela ud gaya hakim, lut gaya dera. How can I live in this city? One well and five women, each fetched water separately. The well is blocked and the water has dried up, The five women are crying. Say Ghasiram, it has been a nice gethering, but the governer has fled, and camp has been plundered.
- Slide 19
- 19 Jugalkishor Mukhtar koi bura kahe ya achchha, lakshmi ave ya jave anek varshhon tak jiun, ya mrityu aj hi a jave.. athava koi kaisa bhi bhay, ya lalach dene ave to bhi nyay marg se mera, kabhi na pag digane pave. Let someone call me good or bad, let riches come or turn away, Whether I live for million years, or I face death this very day. Whether someone does frighten me, or even tempt me in some way; May my steps never falter from proven good and righteous way.
- Slide 20
- 20 Ravindra Jain: Composer/Poet Born blind in 1944 Aligarh, UP Father Pt. Indramani Jain Vaidya Shashtri His brother read books for him Sangit Prabhakar, Prayag Inspired by Daulatram, Bhudhar Das, Dyanatrai & Budhjan First film: Kaanch Aur Heera in late 1972. Wrote and composed: ankhiyon ke jharokhon se, maine dekhaa jo saanvare (ankhiyon ke jharokhon se) geet gaataa chal o saathii gunagunaataa chal (geet gaataa chal) saa.Nchii kahe.n torI aavan se hamare..(Nadia ke par)
- Slide 21
- 21 ham yahi kamana karate hain aisa ane vala kal ho hon nagar nagar men bahubali sari dharati dharmasthal ho. This we wish that tomorrow There will be Bahubali in every town, And the whole world will be the land of dharma.
- Slide 22
- 22 ham yahi kamana karate hain ham nahin digambar shvetambar terahpanthi sthanakvasi, ham ek panth ke anuyayi ek dev ke vishvasi, ham jaini apana dharm jain itana hi parichay keval ho. Neither Digambar or Shwetambar Or Terapanthi or Sthanakvasi, We follow one path, and believe in one Lord, Were Jain, and our dharma is Jainism That is enough to introduce ourselves.
- Slide 23
- 23 baahubali bhagavan ka mastakabhishek parvat par nar nar chale, kalashonmen nir bhare hod lagi abhishhek prabhuka pahale kaun kare nir kshiraki bahati dhara, phir bhi na bhiga tan sara aisi anya vishal murtika kahin nahin ullekh. dhanya dhanya ve log yahan jo aj rahe sir tek mastakabhishek, bahubali bhagavanaka Men & women climb the hill with water in kalashas Vie to be the first to anoint the Lord Stream of water & milk could not wet the whole body There is not other murti of such dimensions Blessed are those who bow before the lord today. Anointing of Lord Bahubali..
- Slide 24
- 24 Pankaj tumase lagi lagan, lelo apani sharan, paras pyara. meto meto ji sankat hamara.. nish din tumako japun, par se neha tajun. jivan saraa, tere charanon men bite hamara.. meto meto.. Im now attached to you & seek your shelter, dear Lord Paras Relive my distress Day & night I think about you and no one else May I spend my life at your feet..
- Slide 25
- 25 Dyanat Rai 1676-1726 Agra ih vidhi mangal aarati kijai panch param pad bhaj sukh lijai pahali aarati shri jinaraja bhavadadhi par utar jihaja saatami arati shri jinavaani dyanat surag mukati sukh dani Thus do mangal arti, celebrate the worship of the five great ones The first arti is for lord Jina, like a ship to cross the ocean of rebirths. Seventh arati for Jina-vani, giver of bliss of heaven and freedom.
View more >
Structurally Guided Black Box malaiya/ · Structurally Guided Black Box Testing Harish V. Kantamneni Sanjay R. Pillai Yashwant K. Malaiya Department of Computer Science Colorado State University
Jaina Studies - Ghent University Academic Bibliography Jaina Studies NEWSLETTER OF THE CENTRE OF JAINA
Jaina Studies - SOAS University of London Jaina Studies NEWSLETTER OF THE CENTRE OF JAINA STUDIES March
Jain Art By Jennifer L Marchal http://www.ne.jp/asahi/arc/ind/jaina/2_ ellora/ell_eng.htm http://www.ne.jp/asahi/arc/ind/jaina/2_ ellora/ell_eng.htm http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~malaiya/jainclip.html
Jaina Studies - SOAS, University of London Jainism and Science: 18th Jaina Studies Workshop 2016 15 Gyan Sagar Science Foundation 16 Jaina Studies in Japan
Compensation for Measurement Errors Due to Mechanical Misalignments in PCB Testing Anura P. Jayasumana, Yashwant K. Malaiya, Xin He, Colorado State University