1 College and Career Readiness Academic Support May 26, 2011.
out of 18
Post on 16-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- 1 College and Career Readiness Academic Support May 26, 2011
- Slide 2
- 2 The College and Career Ready Team C&CR Goal Leader John Bynoe C&CR Team Julia Phelps Keith Westrich Nyal Fuentes Jenny Curtin Lisa Harney Karen DeCoster Rob Curtin Delivery Unit Carrie Conaway Matt Deninger Anna Gazos Kenya Avant- Ransome
- Slide 3
- 3 College and Career Ready Definition Being college and career ready means that an individual has the knowledge and skills necessary for success in postsecondary education and economically viable career pathways in a 21 st century economy
- Slide 4
- 4 Delivery An interim plan to measure, define and coordinate a plan on the Department level for college and career readiness A plan that coordinates the integral pieces of readiness for post-secondary education, readiness for career and dropout recovery/prevention.
- Slide 5
- 5 Short-Term Measures (Present 2014) College & Career Ready 5-Year Graduation Rate MassCore Completion Rate
- Slide 6
- 6 Goals for College and Career Readiness
- Slide 7
- 7 Leading Indicators & Long-Term Measures (beyond 2014) Career Readiness LEADING INDICATORS: Decrease number of students in higher risk categories in 8 th grade MEASURES: Dropout rate, Graduation rate, Recovered students College Readiness Dropout Recovery LEADING INDICATORS: Students scoring P/A on STE, math, ELA by end of 10th grade SAT participation and achievement Students taking postsecondary coursework AP class enrollment Students completing Algebra II or above Students completing mathematics in the senior year AP Exam 3+ MEASURES: Students enrolling and persisting in 2 and 4 year colleges Students requiring remediation in public colleges LEADING INDICATOR: Number of Work-based Learning Plans completed
- Slide 8
- 8 College and Career Ready Academic Support Grants Early Warning Indicator System High School Graduation Initiative High School Turnaround MassCore Policy & Implementation Mass Model for School Counseling School to Career Connecting Activities Seven strategic initiatives
- Slide 9
- 9 College and Career Readiness Unit Primary Body of Work Dropout Prevention The systemic effort to engage students to complete their high school education. College Readiness The development of knowledge and skills to succeed in post-secondary education without remediation Career Readiness The development of knowledge and skills to be successful in an economically viable career pathway in a 21st century economy. A Student Prepared for the 21 st Century
- Slide 10
- 10 Intricate KEY Connections This work includes vertical and horizontal articulations and intersections: across ESE across the Commonwealth and must include authentic partnerships to be successful!
- Slide 11
- 11 HIGHLIGHTING SOME KEY PROJECTS AROUND COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS A rigorous program of study (MassCore) A systemic process to engage students in high school until graduation (MassGrad) Counseling and planning for Success (Your Plan for College, the MassModel, and EWIS) Creating post-secondary opportunities for students still enrolled in high school (STEM Early College High Schools) Academic and Career preparation (Connecting Activities and Academic Support )
- Slide 12
- 12 MassCore MassCore is the states recommended program of high school studies, which includes four years of English and mathematics (including Algebra II), three years of history and social science, three years of lab sciences, two years of foreign language, a year of the arts, and physical education. It also encourages students to take electives, including Advanced Placement (AP), a capstone senior project; dual enrollment (courses taken for both high school and college credit); online course for high school or college credit; service learning; and work-based learning. Core courses and electives should total a minimum of 22 credits. A rigorous program of study
- Slide 13
- 13 High School Graduation Initiative Create a State High School Graduation Coalition: an inter-agency, cross-sector State High School Graduation Coalition to facilitate the statewide sharing of promising programs and practices, to engage in a public information campaign on dropout reduction, and to inform and support related state initiatives. Expand the Dropout Prevention and Recovery Work Group: expand the existing Work Group to increase the number of participating schools and districts and broaden the variety and frequency of opportunities for networking and sharing promising approaches among the 133 members of the HSGI School Cohort. Implement Research-Based Practices in the HSGI School Cohort: a competitive grant process, the Department will help support targeted schools in implementing research- and evidenced-based practices and strategies. Technical assistance, state guidance, and learning exchanges Establish Three New Gateway to College Sites: create a new partnership with the Gateway to College National Network to establish the Gateway to College program - an early college model to support at-risk students - at three new sites through targeted funding and technical assistance A systemic process to engage students in high school until graduation
- Slide 14
- 14 Your Plan for College, the MassModel for School Counseling, and EWIS The Mass Model is a collaborative leadership model whereby guidance departments are charged with spearheading systemic school change to help raise student achievement in the academic/technical, workplace readiness and personal/social domains YourPlanforCollege is a college and career planning web portal system that is available at no cost for every high school (public and private) in the Commonwealth. YourPlanforCollege will help students and parents plan for college and careers. YourPlanforCollege has online application tools to make the college admissions process easier and more efficient for guidance counselors to manage. Counseling and planning for success The Early Warning Indicator System (EWIS) is in development and will be a data-driven system to identify students PK-12 that are potentially off-track for grade-level or developmental age, including those students that are off-track for high school graduation (potential dropouts).
- Slide 15
- 15 STEM ECHS In its Race to the Top (RTTT) application, the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education proposed to establish at least six STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) early college high schools Early college high schools are designed to result in higher rates of college going for students currently underrepresented in higher education. Early colleges build an accelerated route linking secondary education with postsecondary educational opportunities. These schools are developed through agreements between high schools and postsecondary institutions. Creating post-secondary opportunities for students still enrolled in high school
- Slide 16
- 16 Connecting Activities and Academic Support Connecting Activities provides quality work-based learning experiences that are connected to classroom teaching and learning for high school students participating in school-to-career initiatives across the Commonwealth. Priority is given to students who are most at risk of dropping out or who are academically at-risk and in danger of not acquiring their CD. The primary goal of CA is to design and implement brokered work and learning experiences both during the school year and summer to support career development and academic achievement. Employer connections are brokered by the 16 regional Workforce Investment Boards (WIB) working in partnership with districts/schools and School to Career/Connecting Activities networks. Academic Support provides academic support and remediation services to secondary school students scoring in warning/failing and needs improvement on the mathematics, English language arts and science/technology and engineering MCAS. Academic and Career preparation
- Slide 17
- 17 Additional Projects Supporting College and Career Readiness Pre-AP Online Courses and Modules for At-Risk Students Certificate of Occupational Proficiency Competency Determination Requirement (ELA, Math, STE) and changes to Koplik and/or Adams policy Educational Proficiency Plans State Strategies to Achieve Graduation for All (NGA) Alternative Education state grants Early College Designs Policy Initiative School Improvement Grants/Level 4 Schools and Districts/Alternative Education School Turnaround Support Forums and research briefs in partnership with the Rennie Center Innovation school development Charter school development Enhancing STEM instruction at high-need middle schools (Green in the Middle) AND MANY MORE
- Slide 18
- 18 DISCUSSION A rigorous program of study A systemic process to engage students in high school until graduation Counseling and planning for Success Creating post-secondary opportunities for students still enrolled in high school Academic and Career preparation Where are the key intersections in our work?
View more >
College & Career Readiness for All Students Paul Gothold, Chief Academic Officer April 26, 2011 Lynwood Unified School District.
College Career Readiness Assessment - ??College Career Readiness Assessment ... • Leads a range of college and career readiness research, ... Career Readiness Motivation Self
College and Career Readiness Performance Expectations ... ?· College and Career Readiness Performance…
ACADEMIC AND CAREER PLAN Grade 6 Scope and mps.milwaukee.k12.wi.us/MPS-English/CAO/College--Career-Readiness/...ACADEMIC…
College- and Career-Readiness Standards and Assessment ... ?· College- and Career-Readiness Standards…
2016 COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS WORKING GROUP ... firstname.lastname@example.org…
Department of College and Career Readiness ?· Department of College and Career Readiness Woodworking…
College and Career Readiness Action Planning and Career Readiness Action-Planning ... College and Career Readiness Action-Planning Template, it is essential to ... career readiness plan? Individual ...
College and Career Readiness Supporting New Teachers ?· College and Career Readiness ... A Four Tiered…
SELECT COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS Final PRINT IN... · SELECT COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS STANDARDS…