090426 the sound byte sermon
out of 38
Post on 30-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONA sermon on Matthew 22:34-40 presented by Dale Wells at Palm Desert Church of Christ on April 26, 2009
- 2. George Burns:
- The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning
- And a good ending
- Then having the two as close together as possible
- 3. I preached a short sermon once
- Wow! You were quick today. I barely had time for my nap!
- 4. Another time, I was thinking about my sermon & cut myself shaving
- I wish youd think about shaving and cut your sermon!
- 5. Remember meetings, revivals, campaigns & lectureships?
- Two morning lessons
- Two or three after lunch
- Exhausted, but sated fed in body & soul
- Before television shortened our attention span to seven minutes between commercials
- 6. Time flies when listening to some preachers
- Richard Rogers
- Jim McGuiggan
- Rick Atchley
- Jerry Rushford
- Lynn McMillon
- Rubel Shelly
- 45 minutes into the lesson, you wish theyd keep going
- 7. Legend says Antony of Padua was that kind of spellbinder
- No church could hold crowd, so he preached from a tree
- Even fish poked heads out of the water to hear him
- Im out of my tree and even my dog wont listen to me
- 8. Fred Craddock tells of a short sermon he heard
- Conference in S.C.
- A young woman was assigned a devotional
- Age 20, soft voice, inexperienced, unimpressive, legal pad in her hand
- Thought, Were here for the night.
- 9. She spoke a phrase in an unfamiliar language
- Over & over, each time in a different language
- One statement, in one tongue after another
- Finally, in English, the sentence shed said 60 times in 60 languages: Mommy, Im hungry!
- Then she sat down
- She didnt have to explain it
- 10. Craddock saw a sign near home
- Sermon was in his head again
- Like children all over the world were saying Mommy, Im hungry
- I wish I could preach like that
- 11. Jesus was the master of the short sermon
- Some were one sentence
- Let the dead bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God
- No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God
- Follow me
- Enough said
- 12. Those sermons stand the test of time
- Follow me. Dont look back. Go, proclaim the kingdom of God.
- Makes us preachers
- We need to learn how to preach some short sermons, too
- Keep a few in our heads
- 13. Jesus could preach a powerful sermon in a few seconds
- Ironic that preachers take hours expanding on what he could say in seconds
- Maybe we should just read the Bible and sit down
- 14. A Simple Answer to a Difficult Question
- 15. Matthew 22:34-40 NIV
- Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. (35) One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: (36) Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?
- 16. Matthew 22:34-40 NIV
- (37) Jesus replied: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. (38) This is the first and greatest commandment. (39) And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. (40) All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.
- 17. A popular question among the rabbis in Jesus day
- Tried to get their rabbis to keep it short, too
- Rabbis counted 613 commands in Torah
- Their job: interpret, expound & apply all 613 to daily lives of disciples
- Disciples overwhelmed
- Started asking for a summary or priorities
- Just tell us what we really need to know!
- 18. A Tale of Three Rabbis
- 19. Rabbi Shammai and Rabbi Hillel were rivals in their day
- Hillel (100 BC20 CE)
- Sanhedrin President 40 years (20 BC-20 CE)
- Shammai (50 BC-30 CE)
- Sanhedrin Vice-President 40 years (20 BC-20 CE)
- Almost certainly present in Temple with Jesus at age 12 (approx. 6 CE)
- 20. Gentile skeptic went to Shammai
- Told him he would convert to Judaism if Shammai could teach him the Torah while he stood on one foot
- Shammai answered by whacking him with a stick
- I like that answer!
- 21. Same skeptic went to Hillel
- Hillel said, What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow human. This is the entire Torah, all of it. The rest is commentary. Go and study it.
- Hillel converted the skeptic!
- 22. Its the negative version of Jesus golden rule
- Matthew 7:12 NIV So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
- Another sound byte sermon classic!
- 23. The lawyer knew the rabbis had already answered this question
- He was testing Jesus
- Rabbis: Two commands stood above the rest
- The rest were actually applications of the two:
- Deuteronomy 6:5 NIV Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
- Leviticus 19:18 NIV Love your neighbor as yourself.
- 24. Rabbi Jesus was agreeing with the other rabbis when he said:
- Matthew 22:37-40 NIV Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. (38) This is the first and greatest commandment. (39) And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.
- 25. Thats the sound byte sermon Paul quotes in Galatians
- Written to a church where people kept fussing & fighting
- He quotes Jesus quoting the Torah:
- Galatians 5:14 NIV The entire law is summed up in a single command: Love your neighbor as yourself.
- 26. Can you imagine?
- Torah, Bible, Christian faith, distilled to five words?
- Two seconds to say it. Love your neighbor as yourself.
- Say it with me, will you?
View more >
Depliant Lavapavimenti RCM Byte I, Byte I scrubber drier ... ?· byte ii efficiente, maneggevole, robusa…