七年级下册 unit 5 can you come to my party? section a grammar focus
Post on 21-Jan-2016
Embed Size (px)
Unit 5 Can you come to my party?Section A Grammar Focus
prepare for an exam go to the doctor have the flu help my parents meet my friend Revision
help my parentsgo to the doctorprepare for an examhave the flumeet my friend
Yes, she can.Can she come to the party? Can she
No,he cant.He has to study.Can he go to the baseball game?Can he
Can they come to the partyNo they cant. They have to study for the math test.Can they
A: Can your mother go to the concert?B: When is it?A: Its on Saturday evening.B: Sure/ Yes/ Certainly, shed love to.B: No, she cant. She is doing housework. She has to babysit my sister. She has a party with her friends.your motherconcertMonday eveningdo houseworkbabysit my sisterhave a party with her friends
theyplay footballSunday afternoonA: Can they play football with us?B: When is it?A: Its on Sunday afternoon.B: Sure, theyd love to Yes, they can.B: No, they cant. They have an English test. They are visiting their teachers. They have to do their homework.have an English testvisit their teachersdo homework
Accept Invitations:Sure/Yes/Of course, Id love to.Certainly, Id like to.
Decline invitations:Im sorry, I cant. I have to look after my grandmother. I have a piano lesson. I am going shopping with my friend. help my parents/ visit my aunt/ play football/ study for the English test/have a piano lesson/ go to the mall/ babysit my sister/ do homework/go to the movies/ go to my guitarlesson/ watch a football match/play tennis/ go to the doctor/ surf the Internet/ go fishing/ relax at home
Can you come to my party on Saturday?Sure, Id love to.Sorry, I must study for a math test.Can you go to the movies tomorrow night?Sure. That sounds great.Im afraid not. I have the flu.Can he go to the party?No, he cant. He has to help his parents.Can she go to the baseball game?No. shes not available. She must go to the doctor.Can they go to the movies?No, theyre not free. They might have to meet their friends.
Complete these sentences
1.I have to study A. a piano lesson at 3:00.2.You should B. my aunt. 3.I have C. go to the doctor.4. I should help D. for a test.5. I have to visit E. my parents.
Daily Exercises -- Can you come to my party?-- Im sorry I cant. I _________________.1. have to go to my guitar lesson 2. have to go to play soccer 3. have too much homework 4. have to go to the doctor 5. have to study for a test 6. have a piano lesson 7. have to go to my cousins birthday party8. am not feeling well
(Ask and answer in pairs)Can you come to my party?Sorry,I cant. I have to_________.188.8.131.52.5.study for a test go to the doctorhave a piano lessonhelp my parentsvisit my aunt
3a Complete the answers with might and one of the phrases in the box.
1. A: What are you going to do on Saturday? B: Im not sure. I might______________ 2. A: What are you planning to do after school? B: I dont know. ____________________ watch TV on the weekend my cousin visit grandparents practice the violinpractice the violin.I might watch TV.
3. A: When will you finish the science homework? B: ____________________________________ 4. A: Who are you going to the movies with? B:____________________________________ 5. A: Are you free to come to my place on Saturday? B: ____________________________________ On the weekend My cousin No. I might visit grandparents .
3b Complete the sentences below. Use the words in brackets to help you. Inviting: (can / play tennis)_____________________________________________ Accepting:________________________ 2. Inviting: (would like to/ go to the movies) Reason: (might have to)______________________________Refusing : Can you come to play tennis?Sure, that sounds great.would you like to go to the movies?Im afraid not. I have too much
______________________________3. Inviting: (can/hang out with us tonight) Reason: (must) ____________________________________Refusing: _____________________________4. Inviting: ( would like to / come to my birthday party) ______________________________________Accepting:______________________________homework to do. Can you hang out with us tonight?Would you like to come to my birthday party?No, I cant. I must finish my homework.Sure, Id love to.
3c Write down everything you have to do next week. Choose a day and time to have a party. Then invite classmates to your party.A: Can you come to my party?B: When is it?A: Next week, on Thursday night.B: Im sorry. I have to study for a math test.
Do you know week?
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
colorful weekend activities go fishinggo shopping go skateboardingplay basketball go to the cinemaclimb mountains surf the Internet go to a party
go to the concertstudy for a testgo to the doctorhave a piano lessonvisit his auntgo to a baseball game/have baseball trainingWeekend Activities
What do you usually do on weekends? What activities do you do on weekends? have to A: What do you have to do this weekend? B: I have to What weekend activities do you do?
study for a testgo to the doctorhave a dancing lesson
may/might, can/could,must, have to, shall/should, will/would,ought to, need, dare, used to Grammar focuscan have to
1. 2. (have to)3. not (have to)(have to )
can, , , Sure, Id love to. / Certainly. /Of course., Sorry,
Can you come to my birthday party tomorrow Sorry, I cant. I am going to visit my grandpa.
1. can/may maycan You may/can smoke here. Borrowers may not take out of the library more than two books at a time.The policeman says you cant park here.
(2) May/Can I/we? Can you? May I use your phone? Yes, you may./Yes, please. /No, you may not. /No, you mustnt. /No, youd better not. /Im afraid not.
/Im sorry. Id rather you didnt. Can I go out and play, Mum? Yes/Certainly, you can. /No, you cant. Can you help me with this bag? With pleasure./Sorry, I cant.(3)
Mr. Reed looks pale. He may be ill. (). Mr. Read is in poor health. He can be ill at any time. () This news may be true. (=might/could) () Wang Wei can be really stubborn. ()(=could)
This news may not be true. (, =might not )This news cant be true. (, =couldnt)Can this news be true?(=Could)May this news be true?
(4) can You can swim, cant you? No, I cant. I cant promise anything, but Ill do what I can. Tickets can be bought from the Tourist Information Center.
2. might/could maycan The children asked whether they could/might go for a swim.() I was afraid it might rain that afternoon. () He asked if the news could be true. ()(Can the news be true?)
She said he could speak several languages. () I couldnt find her telephone number. () (2) mayTheres someone at the door. It could/might(=may) be George. ()
/It couldnt (=cant) be George.() /Could(=Can) it be George?() According to the radio it could/might/ may rain tomorrow. Lightning could (=can) be dangerous. (3) Might/Could I/we ? Could you ?
Might/Could I ask you one more question? Yes, of course you may/might/can/ could. Could you help me with these boxes? Of course I can./With pleasure.
I wonder if I could/might leave now.I dont suppose you could/might.
3. can/be able tocan= am/is/are able to = shall/will be able to No one can do it. =No one is able to do it. Can you come tonight? =Will you be able to come tonight?
(2) could ; was/ were able to I could swim when I was six. He started late, but he was able to catch the eight oclock train. =but he managed to catch =but he succeeded in catching
But: Mr. Smith couldnt/wasnt able to see you because hes got a bad cold.(3) be able to Im sorry I havent been able to answer your letter. =Im sorry for not being able to answer your letter. To be able to run is very important for a footballer.
4. have to, have to have to , has to, dodoes
We have to look after our sister at home.Does he have to get up early tomorrow morning? I dont have to stay at home today.
have tocan, may must should 1) 4, have to, has to He should study hard. He has to study hard.
2) 4 , notcan:--Can he go with us? --He cant go with us. have todo , doesdid
5. must/have to must have to I dont like this TV set. I must buy a new one. This TV set doesnt work. We have to buy a new one. (now)
You must get up at five tomorrow. We (will) have to get up early tomorrow were going to Devon. (future) I had to leave early because I wasnt feeling well. She said she must/had t